Thursday, May 6, 2010

Acceptance: Heavy Bear Magazine

Jane Crown, editor of Heavy Bear, took all five of the poems I sent. I’m glad I didn’t waste her time!

She does a great deal for the poetry community, not only running a fine journal but producing broadcast interviews with poets on her self-created radio show. Damn impressive!

Submitting poems is one of the publicity-seeking poet’s most difficult and important tasks. My technique has evolved over the years from haphazard send-offs to choosing the right poems for the right journals; then I sit on the submission for at least a few days, looking over the selections each day afresh.

This requires an annoying level of struggle as my patience rassles with my antsy urge to "get er done," as they say in rural Maine.

The delay usually results in last moment tweak or two, even though the poems have already been through my edit mill, a process that can take months or even years.

It paid off this time. A compete acceptance of all submitted material. This hasn’t happened with a five-poem sub in many years.

Yeah, Heavy Bear! And Yeah for Jane Crown!!


OWL

1 comment:

  1. woohoo! congrats!

    good to see that others recognize your talent as i have for so many years. five poems accepted from one submission is tough to accomplish!

    ReplyDelete