Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Release: Vine Leaves Journal #06


Vine Leaves Journal has released Issue #06, and it not only validates the positive comments I made earlier, it sparks my enthusiasm even more. I offer a quantum leap of kudos to editors Jessica Bell and Dawn Ius. The presentation is fantastic, the context multifaceted, the quality extra-outstanding.

To back this up, I will say my poems have appeared in a good number of journals over the last ten years, over a hundred. Vine Leaves #06 has tied for my #2 favorite presentation ever. They paired my poem “Hiroshima Shadow” with the artwork of Otha Vakseen Davis III, who is a upsurging monumental talent. You can read about him here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Vakseen

My poem and “Blemishes of Love,” the artwork by Vakseen, constitute the last page of the issue. It is such an honor to appear there, as a final dissipative note in the tempestuous song of words, images and unleashed creativity that is VLJ6. Bell and Ius have given us a brilliant jagged veinous pasticcio, successfully fusing urban and natural while injecting elements of dare--techniques such as tilting the poems, or presenting them in the style of a clip-on. The editors magick the format to meld language within aesthetic leaves of electronic paper. Folds within folds. Messages within messages, combining the contributors into a singularity of overarching theme, and yet retaining the unique signature of each work. Indeed, the vignette is what this journal is all about (see my review).

Visit the latest issue, and be sure to check out my poem on the last page:

http://www.vineleavesliteraryjournal.com/issue-06-apr-2013.html

Here is my review:

http://owlwholaughs.blogspot.com/2013/04/acceptance-vine-leaves-literary-journal.html

Time is mean, or I would ramble on.


Fly Well In the Dark,

Owl


PS: My favorite presentation of one of my poems in a journal (audio, click play):

http://whalesound.wordpress.com/2011/10/01/the-gods-reflect-on-creation-by-chris-crittenden/

PPS: Tied with Vine Leaves for my second favorite presentation is: The Centrifugal Eye:

http://issuu.com/centrifugaleye/docs/tcemay10-rr_r

5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your amazing praise! We posted a link to this on the Vine Leaves Facebook page and tweeted as well. You have no idea how much we appreciate your support. It's people like you who make this labour of love worth every minute of our passion and time. So thank you, very very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The honor is completly mine. I meant every word. Thank you for giving so much to the poetry world!

    CC

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're touched! Thank you so much.
    Looking forward to reading more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poetry is my passion and obsession and when I find a wonderful, rare font of it I gush. It's who I am, and I'm not ashamed of it, and it's all true!

    Thank you again.

    CC

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the love and compliment. This was definitely a great pairing. I truly enjoyed your work!

    ReplyDelete